[NEWS] Eunice Bélidor Becomes First Black Curator in Montreal Museum of Fine Arts’s 161-Year History

April 13, 2021 

Curator Eunice Bélidor. Photo: CHARLÈNE DAGUIN/MONTREAL MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS 

The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts has named Eunice Bélidor its new curator of contemporary art, making her the first, full-time Black curator in the institution’s 161-year history.

This is something that happens in all the institutions I go through,” Bélidor told the Montreal Gazette. “Wherever I have been hired before, it always sends that message (of change), because I’m usually the first Black person holding that position.” A Montreal native, Bélidor established her career as an independent curator, critic, and researcher. Over the past decade, she has organized exhibitions and projects in Montreal, Toronto, and Berlin. Since 2019, she has served as director of FOFA Gallery at Concordia University in Montreal. She joins the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts on April 12.

Swiss pillow-shaped caseswaterproof replica panerai watches on sale - Radiomir, Radiomir 1940, Luminor, Luminor 1950, Luminor Due and Submersible are all available.

Both men and women are worth the Swiss movement fake rolex watches online with cheapest prices and high quality.

The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts attracted criticism for the abrupt dismissal of its director Nathalie Bondil. Photo: Hui Gao 

Bélidor’s exhibitions and projects have included “IGNITION 16” (2020), an online exhibition organized with Michèle Tériault at the Leonard & Bina Ellen Gallery at Concordia University; “Over My Black Body” (2019), co-curated with Anaïs Castro at the Galerie de l’UQAM at the University of Quebec in Montreal (and first presented in Berlin with Spike Art Quarterly); and “Future Memories” (2016) and “Code: Body” (2018), both presented at Articule as part of Montreal’s HTMlles Festival, which is dedicated to media arts and digital culture produced by women, trans, and gender non-conforming artists.

This opportunity will allow me to pursue my work of supporting artists and promoting Quebec and Canadian contemporary art in Montreal, Canada, and abroad,” Bélidor said in the Gazette interview. MMFA is Canada’s largest and most popular art museum, with over 1 million visitors in 2019.

In a statement, chief curator Mary-Dailey Desmarais said that Bélidor’s “experience coupled with her interest in stimulating dialogue and in focusing on themes and discourses that are too often marginalized make her a tremendous asset for the MMFA.”

Prev [INTERVIEW] Interview with JOHN ASLANIDIS
Next [NEWS] Yayoi Kusama’s Exhibition at the New York Botanical Garden
  List