[NEWS] Olafur Eliasson floods museum and removes wall, opening it 24-hours-a-day to insects

April 22, 2021

Installation view of the life installation by Olafur Eliasson in the Fondation Beyeler

With the kind permission of the artist; new belt cutter; Tanya Bonakdar Gallery. © 2021 Olafur Eliasson, Photo: Mark Niedermann

When a museum is flooded with water, a major failure has usually occurred. In the Fondation Beyeler at the gates of the Swiss city of Basel, the flooding of the museum is part of the exhibition: a new site-specific installation called Life by the Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson. For this solo show (now through July 11, 2021), the artist immerses the museum in a border-crossing investigation of our preconceptions of nature and culture. He has allowed an adjacent pond—a feature usually separated from the interior by a large glass wall—into the Renzo Piano-designed museum (with the architect's permission). Visitors can navigate the up to 80 cm deep water using a series of walkways that lead in and out of the building. At night the interior is illuminated with blue light.
Vous ne pouvez pas manquer cette réplique montre breitling par cher chine. Tous les modèles les plus vendus sont en stock.

Pilot's, Aquatimer, Da Vinci, Portugieser et etc. Ce site propose les iwc répliques qualité aaa avec des mouvements suisses.

Life aims to make people recognize how their lives are inextricably entangled with their surroundings and with structures and systems that go beyond their local context. this ultimately results in letting go of control and understanding that uncertainty is part of it all. Eliasson also dyed the water fluorescent green and filled it with pond plants, including water lilies and shell flowers selected by landscape architect Günther Vogt. The water has been colored with uranine, an organic dye commonly used to observe water currents and which Eliasson previously used for his work on the Green River (1998), which stained rivers in cities such as Stockholm, Tokyo and Los Angeles.

Olafur Eliasson, Life. Installation view: Fondation Beyeler, Riehen/Basel, 2021. 

Courtesy of the artist; neugerriemschneider, Berlin; Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York / Los Angeles © 2021 Olafur Eliasson Photo: Mark Niedermann

“In recent years, I have increasingly grown interested in efforts to consider life not from a human-centric perspective but from a broad, biocentric perspective,’ commented olafur eliasson on the motivation behind the show. “I’ve found myself turning nouns into verbs – when I go through my exhibition, I try to tree, for instance – in order to become aware of perspectives that go beyond what we humans can properly imagine.”

Olafur Eliasson, Life, 2021. Installation view: Fondation Beyeler, Riehen/Basel, 2021. 
Courtesy of the artist; neugerriemschneider, Berlin; Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York / Los Angeles © 2021 Olafur Eliasson Photo: Mark Niedermann 

The show is open 24 hours a day. Visitors can access the installation at any time. After 9:30 pm they the visitors no longer need a ticket. So far ‘insects, spiders, ducks, a goose and cats’ in relation to non-human visitors have visited. There is also a livestream of the exhibition with cameras fitted with various optical filters that “point to non-human perspectives”.

Prev [CURATION] Designer Series | Working With Pattern
Next [CRITIQUE] 심현섭: 공공미술 1/ 현대적 의미의 공공미술, ‘공공장소의 미술’로 시작하다
  List