[INTERVIEW] Interview with CARMEN D'APOLLONIO

June 25, 2021

By Heather Hayer

My favorite color is blue, Bronze, 48.3 x 33 x 33 cm, 2021

Hi, Carmen. Could you introduce yourself to the Art Terms Magazine readers?

I’m 47 years old and have been living and working in Los Angeles since 2014.

I’ll-wait-a-million-years, Ceramic, Linen , 78.7 x 40.6 x 35.6 cm, 2021

Your works are incredibly fascinating and attractive. Could you explain the process of making these interesting works?

Im happy you like my work! I usually start drawing shapes that I have in mind and after that I translate the idea into clay.

One of us no. 2, Bronze71.1 x 25.4 x 22.9 cm, 2021

Why did you start combining ceramic with lamp?

It was because I simply needed some lamps formy house.

The ceramic lamps all look different and have their own characteristics. Where do you get these inspirations from?

I draw inspiration from nature, art and architecture. Everything beautiful that surrounds me.

Cocktails for two, Ceramic, Linen , 
170.2 x 78.7 x 62.2 cm, 2020

The fluid lines, movement and rippling texture expressed in your ceramics are beautiful. Could you give us some tips of how you make these excellent details?

It happens just very naturally.

Is there a detail that you particularly put effort into while creating an artwork?

Not really. The process is very organic. It’s almost subconscious.

Portrait of Carmen D'Apollonio

What is the most difficulty you encounter while working on the ceramics? How do you overcome the barriers?

The most difficult part is to make sure that the pieces don’t collapse. In other words, I’ve learned to be patient and to make sure the structure below is stable enough that I can continue to build higher. I imagine it’s like building a bridge.

30 minute lunch break, Ceramic, Linen , 105.4 x 40.6 x 35.6 cm, 2020

Is there an artwork that you are proud of and could you explain us the reason?

There are some pieces that just make me happier than others. I can’t explain why there’s more of an attachment that I feel to certain pieces because maybe they touch me more.

Cherry Pie, Ceramic, Linen , 
114.3 x 40.6 x 40.6 cm, 2021

Do you have an artwork that you placed them in your own house or your workshop?

Yes, there are pieces that I’m more attached to that I kept at home for a while until they get replaced by other pieces.

How does it feel when you see yourself and your work gaining fame and applause? Do you have any difficulties or fear from it?

No, I don’t see myself as a famous person and I don’t think about it.

If I knew you were coming, I would have baked a cake, Ceramic, Linen , 50.8 x 38.1 x 20.3 cm, 2021

How did it feel when Celine commissioned you to design three pieces? Was there any difficulty working with such a huge boutique company?

This was my first commissioned work in ceramics. I just jumped into it and hoped that everything worked out.

You also have your own fashion line, Ikou Tschuss. What’s the similarity and difference between making art and designing fashion?

For me it is the same process.

Can’t help falling in love, Bronze,71.1 x 25.4 x 22.9 cm, 2021

If you can take only 3 things to a deserted island, what would they be?

My husband, my dog and a carton of Camel Blue cigarettes.

Since you are famous as a ceramic lamp artist, what is your favorite flower?

Peonies and Poppies.

Portrait of Carmen D'Apollonio

How do you want to be remembered as?

As Carmen D’Apollonio

What can we expect from your next works? Could you give us a slight hint?

I’ve just finished a new series of bronze lamps and planters that I’ll be showing at my first solo US show in New York at Friedman Benda opening July 15th.

Just got a new haircut, Ceramic , 
38.7 x 20.3 x 17.8 cm, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time for the interview. Would you like to say something to the readers of Art Terms Magazine?

I hope you enjoy this interview and that my work can somehow inspire you.

Prev [NEWS] Prado Museum Reports 75 Percent Loss in Revenue in 2020
Next [NEWS] British Museum Names Former Chancellor George Osborne as Board Chair
  List