[NEWS] 3 Extraordinary Artists of 11 [HellHeaven] Art Gallery

APRIL 20, 2020

By Ungyu Yeo

Photograph: 11 [HellHeaven] Art Gallery

MALENA MAZZA

Malena Mazza was born in Bologna, Italy and moved to Milan to attend the Cinema School. She started her professional career as director assistant at Production House Film 77 in Milan and soon became First Assistant of international renown directors such as Taviani brothers, Michelangelo Antonioni, Maurizio Zaccaro, Giancarlo Soldi, Giampaolo Tescari, Maurizio Azzali, Dario Piana, Gavino Sanna, Andrea Cardile, Jerard de Batista, Jacques Venait, Robert Fraisse and many others. She specialized in videoclip direction, commercials and TV programs.

She currently works as fashion photographer in New York, London, Paris, Madrid and Milan, collaborating with many newspapers and magazines such as Amica, Anna, Biba, Casa Amica, Case da Abitare, Centurion, Citizen K, Cosmopolitan, D di Repubblica, Departure, Elle, Glamour, Harpers Bazaar America, Interni, Io Donna, Kidswear, Label, Marie Claire, Max, New Woman, Nest, Pap Magazine, Playboy Italia, SimplyCity, Sportweek, Spoon, Surface, Sport&Street, Style,Tell, Urban,Vogue Gioiello,Vogue Pelle,Vogue Sposa,Vogue Bambino,Vogue Italia. 

She produced many commercials, advertisements and CD covers. Biennale of Venice exhibited her works between 1995 and 2011 and she realized many solo exhibitions. Her last book is currently in the making.

ROMANHO

Romanho’s technique is a unique procedure based on specially treated newsprints mixed with bark, roots and  flowers combining two dimensional cubism with three dimensional photo portrait. “I recognized Romanho as an original painter because of his original use of  material”, says the actress Queen Latifah. “His paintings  are unpredictable and his passion for his work is beautiful. I haven’t seen a painting anywhere that looks like this.”

KAWAMURA GUN

Kawamura Gun is a painter, a videomaker and a musician. Born Yaizu in Japan, he moved to London to study art. He fell in love with the trans-avantgarde movement and moved in Rome, where he still lives and works. His art could not exist without humour, cynicism and a splash of sensuality. The urban spaces in Rome, Tokio, NY are the key of his work inspired to comics, graffiti or cartoons. 

Naked characters covering their face with gauze bandages where just the mouth comes out, eating ramen or running trough the city in a caustic and paradoxical urban setting of contradictory perspectives and angles, sometimes running and eating at the same time. They occupy spaces, change dimension, move to different angles, look scared for something, or rather excited, obsessed by food and by the contemporary cycle of ricycle and consumption.

The movement of the Shy Nudists, final frontier of the paradoxical universe of Gun, represents his ironic, playful, erotic vision. In his bewildering landscapes the nudists shyly venture into the everyday panorama, breaking its rules and roles with their nakedness. The nudists are masked because once stripped of their own identity they feel no shame in doing anything. A freedom, otherwise blasphemous, which harks back to tribal rituals played out in childhood games. The conviviality, the neighbourhood games, the picnics  are stripped of their individuality and taken back to a neutral, blank mask where the eyes are missing and the emphasis is on the mouths.

Mouths are eating, smiling, laughing, baring their teeth, trying to show their intentions or hiding in silence. Gun’s Shy Nudists are always frantically busy hiding themselves, demonstrating cockiness and ease, provocation and deafening derision, crippling embarrassment and cheekiness. Likewise Gun himself affirms: ‘The laughter hides my shyness. There’s a part of me that feels embarrassed, another that confronts things with a bitter laugh [..] I’m paralysed in reality. Though on one hand I’m embarrassed about what takes shape in my pictures, on the other hand I dare myself to see how far I can push myself to look at the things that are inside me and not explode.’

11 [HellHeaven] Art Gallery

11 [HellHeaven] Art Gallery is a high-end avantgarde gallery beyond the limit of average. 11 [HellHeaven] is a llc corporation based in Altamonte Spring, FL. Come and see us in the charming Via Giulia at the very center of Rome, IT or in the iconic Biscayne Blvd near the Design District in Miami, FL.

Prev [SHOWS] Yun Hyong-keun @ David Zwirner, Online Viewing Room
Next [SHOWS] James Welling Pathological Color @ David Zwirner, Online Viewing Room
  List